Monday, March 29, 2010

24 years and 2 days since the comet came 'round

When I was sixteen years old, I was lucky enough to be able to move out of my parents' house and into a shitty rental with my sister.  I didn't get along with my folks real good (that's putting it super lightly) and my sister happened to be working away at a gold mine so she had some cash to help me out. We got robbed a few times but it was better than before. I also believe that, because I was alone most of the time, I really started to learn how to sing properly that year. I also credit this to Bradley Nowell (February 22, 1968 – May 25, 1996), but I think about other people more nowadays..

I remember when I was fourteen and I was going through "that difficult stage" where all you want is to get your braces off, get a million tattoos/piercings and lose your virginity because you've listened to so much Hole and Nirvana that you really have no will to live. I said to myself, "When I get a job I'm going to move into an awesome place and I'll have a dog and get drunk all the time and there will be an endless supply of skittles."  Then I moved out and bought two pet mice that actually froze to death in the first 24 hours because the house was so horribly cold.

I don't have a dog yet because I can't really afford one and I wouldn't know where to put it.  Nevertheless, I am sitting in my flat, drinking whiskey in the middle of the day and recording demos for my new EP and I'm thinking, geeeez, it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would, huh?

Mama named me after a comet. This is kinda lame in a cheesy romantic Disney way, but at least I have a story. I can't believe I'm 24.  I mean, I don't care about my age (most of my buddies are older anyway), but it just seems like yesterday that I was sitting in the Hydey (that was a pub - may god rest it's sticky soul), having a jug poured on my head while the Homicides sang "Thank You Beer" and thinking it was the best night of my life so far.

I think I've got a pretty long way to go, but if I make it, it's allll good from here. Let's not forget that I have also made it this far with ZERO STD's, which is more than I can say for some.

Here's a picture of me when I was 16. Man, I had absolutely NO boobs whatsoever then. Gross hair, too.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't want to say it on facebook because that shits tacky, but happy birthday. You're still one of my favourite people.

    ReplyDelete